Thursday, October 17, 2024

October prompts ~ learning about myself

 




I realize that after retiring, I have a lot more time to recollect and think about things. I mean, before, there might have been a few minutes here and there, but nothing like having a clear schedule to boggle the mind with thoughts. In fact, sometimes I look for stuff to do.  

There is always something that needs tidied up, a bill paid, a shelf dusted, laundry to tend.  But, of course, I spend a lot of my 'down' time crocheting, when away from domestic duties.  

In recent months I think I've learned something about myself.  Maybe I'm a little OCD about certain things. When I was very ill this last February and March -- pretty much confined to the recliner -- I would look up on the shelves and be repulsed by the dust.  I wanted to get up and clean it but literally didn't have the strength to walk across the room, let alone get out of the chair without help ----- or dust the shelf! I literally couldn't understand why it wasn't bothering anyone else! Hahaha.

But it bugged me none-the-less! It shouldn't have mattered.  My husband even told my son that he didn't know I was such a picky and particular person.  (I'd tell him the soup wasn't warm enough, the toast was too dark).  I didn't realize I was looking ungrateful.  I appreciated all his efforts. He was there for me 24/7.  Cook, chauffeur, personal shopper, housekeeper, everthing!

Then it struck me, maybe I am picky! Being the first time I'd really ever had to rely on someone else for literally everything, I didn't realize I was coming off as complaining.  Before, I could take care of things to my own liking! During those months I was at the mercy of others. I guess I wasn't the best patient.  

Of course, now I'm back to caring for myself, my husband, my home.  Things are back to normal, so to speak.  But I am learning that I'm not quite as meek and humble as I should be in all circumstances!  Learning hard truths can sting a little.  But they should always make us grow and strive to be better.  

Until next time, friends.  Grateful and blessed.  kellie   

   


No comments:

Post a Comment

October prompts ~ learning about myself

  I realize that after retiring, I have a lot more time to recollect and think about things. I mean, before, there might have been a few min...