Friday, August 11, 2023

Nothing is permanent

 


A pile of rubble.  That's all that is left.  This isn't the house, but you get the idea.  The house is about a mile from me.  I knew the elderly lady who used to live there.  In fact, I cared for her in her last months of life.  I was one of her home health care workers.  

Miss Bonnie had a beautiful home.  She was so proud of it and rightly so.  She and her husband designed and built that beautiful home they'd shared until his passing.  Then she was left alone in it with her memories.  Alone except for her cat, her caregivers, and the weekend family that sometimes visited from out of town.  

The couple had no children.  She had been an avid gardener and had led some very prestigious garden clubs in her day.  The yard was big, and the trees were huge and mature.  She kept them, like her home, beautifully maintained and manicured.   She was a very proper lady, Miss Bonnie.  You know she came from an era when morals and ettiquette were of the utmost importance.  I wish it were still so. 

It's kind of funny actually, every time I visit my parents' graves, I also pass Miss Bonnie's final resting place.  I stop by and say a quick hello.  May she rest in peace eternal.  

I'd heard a distant relative had moved in after Miss Bonnie died.  Very quickly, the state of the home began to deteriorate.  The trees and yard no longer were kept pristine.  I could only imagine the inside.  It's been six months or so since the fire.  The house stood in the space, a sad reminder of what I knew used to be.  

Today, I passed and glanced over, realizing something was different.  The house was demolished, currently nothing but a pile of debris.  It was sad seeing it that way.  But it was sad seeing it decline over the years as well.  

But the truth is, nothing is permanent......... except eternity.  It's humbling actually to be reminded of that regularly.  A house is just a house.  Even a most beloved home of a beloved couple who built it from the ground up, lived and loved there for many happy years. 

They're both gone - and now so is that dwelling.  It's now a pile of rubble.  This isn't meant to be a sad recollection of days gone by.  About a woman I knew who lived in a house where I used to work. 

It's a reminder -- to myself-- that life changes, in the biggest way possible and what is here today will someday be gone.  Even us.  And when we're gone, some will be sad, and recall us with fond memories and stories (hopefully!).  But only for a while.  We have to keep our eyes on the prize!  Don't lose sight of that.  God bless you today and always. 

Kellie

No comments:

Post a Comment

October prompts ~ learning about myself

  I realize that after retiring, I have a lot more time to recollect and think about things. I mean, before, there might have been a few min...