Tuesday, October 8, 2024

October prompts ~ the power of music

 

               Tommy and I dancing to theme song of Mannequin at our 40th wedding anniversary party. 

Happy Tuesday everyone.  I hope your week is going well.  Today's prompt is interesting to me.  I love music.  I don't play an instrument, but wish I did!  Music is such an integral part of our lives, isn't it?  And if you're like me, you have a few genres from which you draw for your listening pleasure, depending on mood or surrounding circumstances.  

I mean, I wouldn't be playing Beethoven at a Halloween party or a BBQ, right!?  There is a specific sound to which I enjoy dancing.  Mainly 70s, 80s and 90s soft rock sounds.  If you know me, you know who my favorite band isIn case you don't, it's the Bee Gees.  I've listened to them since the 70s.  My first band though, was CCR, Credence Clearwater Revival.  Oh! that sound to 14/15 year-old me was electric!  Then, there was America (anybody remember them, Horse with no name, Ventura Highway, Sister Golden Hair?).   Neil Diamond, Celine Dion, Chicago, Lobo.  More recently, I've been listening to Phil Collins, Back Street Boys, Ed Sheeran, Louis Capaldi. 



Ahhh, but the true love of my life (musically) is Gregorian Chant!  At two parishes I have led a women's schola (choir) for many years.  I came across a Chant CD in the 80's and I have been HOOKED ON IT EVER SINCE.
I mean, the music is heavenly --- literally!!  Gregorian chant dates back from the 9th century.  So, it's been around- and is not going anywhere any time soon.  

I don't know Latin (per se), nor do I read music, but that doesn't hinder one's ability to sing it.  After some basic training on how to read (and pronounce) the Latin, understanding the musical notations, and some practice - anyone can do it.  If I can do it (can't read music!), anyone can do it............with minimal singing abilities. (can you carry a tune?) 

Listening to chant is such a surreal and calming experience.  If you've never heard it, give it a try.  On you-tube, just search Gregorian Chant and BOOM! There it is!  

I'd say all music has its place. Music, like any art can move us and make us feel emotions immediately.  Often, just hearing notes of a certain song can take us back to a time or place of joy or even pain.  It can make us miss someone.  Or remember a special memory.  Music hardly ever makes me feel angry!  (There are certain genres I absolutely do not listen to i.e. extremely hard rock or heavy metal - they'd probably make me feel very angry!)

I'm on sabbatical from leading the schola right now.  After finding cancer in my thyroid, both sides were removed.   Needless to say, my voice hasn't come back.  It might not ever.  But I can still listen to that beautiful chant, which is also prayer by the way!  Chant not only lifts our voices to God, but also lifts our hearts to Him in prayer.  

It is said, "he who sings, prays twice."

Until next time~ all the best.  kellie 




No comments:

Post a Comment

October prompts ~ learning about myself

  I realize that after retiring, I have a lot more time to recollect and think about things. I mean, before, there might have been a few min...