Tuesday, September 10, 2024

We're all weird


I have a confession to make.  I've learned something about myself, that has in the past gotten me into trouble; or at least has landed me on my knees in the confessional a time or two......or ten. I do wish it hadn't taken me almost 66 years to learn.  For someone who has been in spiritual direction in the past, you'd think I would have picked up on it sooner.  But I'll leave that right there.  Even in direction, we absorb what we're prepared to absorb at that moment.  It would be like soaking a sponge in water, taking it and wringing it out.  Only so much water can stay in the sponge at any given time.  

Maybe we're not all aware of it, but we each have our own distinctive pre-dominant sins (usually, and hopefully venial).  You know what I'm talking about ---- that one annoying habit or failing that generally comes up with each confession.    It might be participating in gossip, anger, not praying on a regular basis, lack of reading/studying God Word regularly, impatience, lack of charity towards other in our thoughts (or worse!)..............       You get the idea.  Any of this sound vaguely familiar?  Or am I the only one?!

My husband and I have had a discussion in recent months that led me to a pathway out of some of my 'recurring' confession fodder.  Truth is, and I know it sounds horrible; but, we're all weird.  I say that in the kindest, most loving manner, by the way. 

I'm getting to the meat and potatoes of it all.  Someone does something different than how you do it? It's weird.  Some families have different ways of doing their life?  Maybe it's how they school their children, how they might grow or raise their own food, what they do or don't allow their kids to do.  Whatever.  It's weird.  But how many times has someone maybe said that about me, or my marriage, or my family?  Well, yes, we're weird.  We're all weird ------ in our very own way.  That's not necessarily a bad thing.  

We even choose friends who are not exact carbon copies of ourselves!  Variety makes the world go 'round.  We all have different talents and attributes.  Thank God for that.  That fact helps us to come together and merge our gifts and talents to tackle life's problems when they come along. And they DO  come along.  (Please don't think I'm saying, 'it takes a village.') Well, it kinda does but doesn't.  I didn't let a village raise my children for me.  But my village was there when I needed it.  Often times, that village is our extended family, close friends, parishioners.  I myself am part of someone else's village.  So it's reciprocal.  It must be to work.  

To close, before I bore you and you get annoyed to the point of losing patience, let me just leave you with this:

               We're all weird (to someone, anyway).

Go be your own weird, loveable self and see ya later!  If it's all in the realm of a good, moral life, be you.   Pax tecum.  May the peace of the Lord be with you always!  

kellie

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

October prompts ~ learning about myself

  I realize that after retiring, I have a lot more time to recollect and think about things. I mean, before, there might have been a few min...